Good intimate hygiene helps to avoid gynecological inconvenience if, however, the right gestures and the right products are used. However, talking about it is often a taboo subject that we talk about with modesty and reserve, while personal hygiene is a banal gesture that should not be neglected because our intimacy must be nurtured and pampered like the rest of our body.
In the privacy of feminine hygiene and grooming
Intimate area: a natural balance under the spotlight
A complex and fragile anatomy at the same time
We have all been confronted with feelings of discomfort that can be unpleasant when they affect our private parts. The microbiota or vaginal flora is home to billions of microorganisms and bacteria essential for good intimate health.
To begin, a short anatomy course is essential.
The female reproductive system consists of:
- ovaries which produce eggs, necessary for reproduction;
- fallopian tubes to transport the egg to the uterus;
- the uterus where the baby will grow during pregnancy;
- the vagina which is the sexual organ;
- vulva, external genitalia.
Naturally humid, this part of our body has its own defenses where a whole dynamic and perfected ecosystem coexists to preserve its balance throughout a woman's life. Indeed, the balance of the vaginal flora evolves under the effect of hormones according to the menstrual cycle, age, contraception, pregnancy or even during menopause.
Before reaching puberty, the vaginal cavity is far from sterile. Indeed, inside the vagina, various bacteria proliferate and come from nearby organs or tissues.
At puberty, the girl's menstrual cycle wakes up and she begins to menstruate. The vaginal mucosa is enriched by estrogen, its pH decreases by becoming acidic to create an environment favorable to lactobacilli : this is the flora of Döderlein .
During menopause, hormone levels drop, there is an imbalance in the intimate flora and the mucous membranes change: vaginal dryness is then more frequent.
Disturbances and intimate well-being
As women, we go through several hormonal upheavals during our lives with the onset of our periods. Remember this physiological passage between childhood and adulthood. The appearance of hair, of this thankless period with an outbreak of acne, a budding breast and the first period.
Having these rules is the monthly appointment of all women around the world. During these few days, daily grooming and the use of appropriate hygienic protections will be essential to feel fresh and good about yourself. The sanitary napkin, its tampon, the cup or the menstrual panties are so many choices available to better live this delicate period. Above all, do not keep them too long and do not hesitate to change them according to its flow.
Indeed, this makes it possible to avoid vaginal or urinary infections such as mycosis, cystitis or even tingling or vulvar irritation . Plus, when you're on your period, we all want to stay fresh. For this, there is an interesting alternative: intimate wipes. Slipping a packet of wipes into your purse is easy! It is discreet, can be carried everywhere and allows quick and efficient cleaning! Of course, its use must remain occasional because nothing better than a toilet!
Another important moment in a woman's life: pregnancy. When you are pregnant, the concentration of hormones is higher. This causes the vaginal pH to increase through the production of glycogen , a sugar that promotes the development of yeasts responsible for mycoses . Use gentle, hypoallergenic care for optimal comfort and to limit vaginal infections.
The basics of good intimate hygiene
Daily gestures and habits
The intimate toilet is a subject that is rarely talked about, perhaps because it is a hidden and very personal beauty. Intimate hygiene helps minimize the appearance of microbes that can harm our health. It brings together a set of actions to adopt to respect the vaginal pH and preserve our genitals according to our needs, the period of our menstrual cycle or even during pregnancy.
Here are some habits to change:
- clothes that are too tight : due to friction and lack of ventilation, they favor the proliferation of bacteria but also vulvar depression as well as vaginal dryness ;
- wet clothes : humidity favors the multiplication of germs;
- frequent personal hygiene: good hygiene does not mean excessive cleaning! The vagina has a self-cleaning ability so washing too frequently can be aggressive. Of course, this applies outside of menstruation as well as after sex.
We have all used our shower gel for the whole body. However, do you clean your face with this same cleanser? It is therefore essential to use a product designed for our private parts in order to preserve this fragile area and not disturb the vaginal flora .
Here are some tips for good hygiene and to avoid exposure to germs :
- The base: change these underwear every day;
- Use your hands when you wash: next the glove or the shower flower, they are nests for germs;
- Avoid complete hair removal because pubic hair has a protective role since it protects against friction, irritation and cold;
- Use a pH-appropriate soap, gel or foam cleanser;
- Make only an external toilet of your private parts;
- Dry yourself gently after washing, from front to back, with a dedicated towel;
- When going to the toilet: always wipe from front to back to avoid a transfer of bacteria;
- Favor cotton underwear rather than synthetic materials.
Vaginal health beyond cleanliness
Taking care of your privacy isn't just a daily beauty routine.
Stop preconceived ideas when you have to take care of your femininity since acting on your intimate balance also means adopting good eating habits to take care of your body. Eh yes ! Although good hygiene is essential, a healthy diet is also important! Indeed, there are foods that help maintain intimate health at the top and fight common ailments.
A healthy vaginal flora needs good bacteria to maintain a good pH.
Here is a listing of all these good products:
- Plain yogurt and all foods rich in probiotics are our friends. These make it possible to fight effectively against fungal infections thanks to the lactobacilli present in these fermented products ;
- Cranberry or Cranberry juice is an asset especially during urinary tract infections because it eliminates the bacteria causing the infection. On the other hand, pay attention to its high sugar content if you are diabetic;
- The apple allows a good lubrication of the vagina . Ladies, it is an ideal ally for a more fulfilling sex life;
- Ginger: to relieve painful cramps during menstruation;
- Nuts: rich in vitamin E, to prevent vaginal dryness ;
- Foods derived from soy: they are composed of isoflavones which have a property that mimics estrogen, hormones that keep tissues elastic;
- Drinking water: staying well hydrated remains an essential beauty gesture to stay healthy.
Obviously, remember to consult your gynecologist because a mild illness can hide another!